• VTEM Image Show
  • VTEM Image Show
  • VTEM Image Show
  • VTEM Image Show
  • VTEM Image Show
  • VTEM Image Show
Show Slideshow
 

Cairo Marriott HotelAdvertise Here

 
History Of The Hotel

 

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino

Al Gezira Palace The magnificent Cairo Marriott Hotel and Omar Khayyam Casino is a harmonious combination of a Royal Palace and complex of twin towers with a connecting garden terrace.
The Royal Palace Al Gezira was built in 1869 by Khedive Ismail, Ruler of Egypt, as a guest Palace for the Suez Canal inauguration celebrations, at a cost of three quarters of a million Egyptian pounds (a huge investment at that time).  It housed European monarchs, including Empress Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III, and was the venue of the first performance of Verdi’s Opera Aida.
The architecture and construction of the Palace reflected Khedive’s passion for Neo classical style popularized in Europe.  For the design elements, he engaged the services of Austrian Architect Julius Franz (later Franz Bey) and De Curel Del Rosso, who also designed the Abdin Palace.
Gezira-PalaceThe German Carl von Diebitsch was contracted as the Palace’s interior designer.  He designed the décor, as well as prefabricating the furniture, draperies and other internal fittings.
Today, the Palace is all that remains of the estate.  Many of its rooms and furniture have been preserved and restored to their original splendor, and now serve as reception rooms and lounges.  This includes many of von Diebitsch’s decorative elements that can be seen in several locations throughout the Marriott.
Over the years, famous ceremonies have taken place at the Palace, including the wedding of Khedive Ismail’s son, which lasted 40 days, the wedding of the daughter of Prime Minister Nahhas Pasha in the 1930s and a boat party in front of the Palace as part of H.M King Farouk and H.M Queen Nariman’s wedding celebrations.
Since it began operating as a hotel, the Palace has changed hands several times.
In 1879, when operating as the exclusive Gezira Palace Hotel, it was confiscated by the state due to outstanding debts and the hotel was taken over by the Egyptian Hotels Company.
In 1919, it was sold to Habib Lotfallah, a Syrian landlord who had settled in Cairo, for 140,000 EGP.  Then in 1961, during the time of President Gamal Abdel Nasser, the Palace was nationalized and became the Omar Khayyam Hotel.
In the 1970s, the property was handed over to Marriott International for management.  They restored the original Palace equipping it with all amenities befitting a five star hotel and flanking it with two modern towers housing 1087 rooms and opened in 1982.

 

Facebook Feeds

Latest Updates

Please review the album of the rare old photos on th...

Testimonials